A new heart and a new spirit for Hollington
The people of St John’s Hollington plan to transform their beautiful church building into a facility fit for the 21st Century and beyond and in the process provide a new heart and new spirit for Hollington.
Our great desire is to see St John’s fully engaged with, and serving, the local community in ways that are commensurate to its needs. However, the lack of good amenities in St John’s restricts and frustrates that desire.
The project consists of three phases:
- Kitchen and toilets connected to the church building by a “welcome area” (with storage area beneath)
- Updating the current interior including the removal of the remaining (uncomfortable) pews and the inextricably linked heating system to provide a more flexible space for worship and community activities
- A larger hall with offices so the site can genuinely be multi-use facility suitably serving the community for current and future generations.
Aspirations in a changing society
Much has changed in society since St John’s was built 150 years ago and the facilities that served the original congregation need modernizing for the people of the 21st century. More recently some community facilities have closed (for example: The Victoria Inn and The Methodist Church on Battle Road). Encouraged by the prophecy in Ezekiel 36:26 (“I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you”) the congregation at St John’s hopes to create a new heart and new spirit within Hollington with a multi-purpose facility that is welcoming to all.
- To genuinely be the heart of the community
- A place to help with debt counselling
- Provide a foodbank
- During school holidays provide meals for children who normally qualify for free school meals
- Share in the work of Snowflake night shelter
- A place for activities, meetings and local groups
- To include a significantly sized stained glass Covid Memorial Window in the new build
To fully fund Phase 1 St John’s is aiming to raise £1m.
Covid Memorial Window
If you wish to “Remember a loved one” go to our Covid Memorial Window page
Giving to the building project
If you would like to give to St John’s – please see “Ways to give” in the Giving tab.